Saturday, September 3, 2016

New Art

I've made some new art since moving to PA.  I have a whole new space in my bedroom which I love. There isn't much natural light in there-but there's more than my other little "studio" had which was none!  I have a desk thanks to my sister (her old one) and to my parents (who stored it in their garage).  My dad is happy it is gone because he has space in his garage for his "gym".  I have a beautiful cubby shelf that was given to me by my friend, Anya. I love it!
This isn't the best picture. As I said, not a lot of light.  

The first pieces of art I created are for a show at the Main Line Art Center.

They are requesting entries for art to be purchased with proceeds going to their scholarship program and their program for people living with disabilities. I love this! All artwork is 8x8 and the artist's name is not on the front.  The purchaser will only know who did the art once they've bought it and can turn it over to find out.  That is exciting because the studio is planning to have artwork donated by local celebrities and artists. Anyway, here are the three 8x8 pieces I am submitting. 
The 3 Sisters




I already posted these on my fb page so anyone who happened to see them and then is now reading this blog (you sure are a sweet person to care enough to read this far!) these aren't new.....
I am still working on faces so I know I have a long way to go to improve. I'd love any tips if anyone has any! I do like how they all came out different but similar....just like true sisters. 

The next new piece I made if for a contest for the Center for Great Apes.

  Anyone who knows me knows I love gorillas. I have been crazy about them since junior high school and wanted to work with them for my career,  Although I have cared for many people who act like they are less evolved than great apes, I missed my chance to actually work with them.   I thought I'd make some art and support a group who is trying to protect them! Here is the piece I did:
It may be hard to see in this picture. The pictures just don't seem to translate from real life to photos to this blog. I think it is the media and how flat alot of the different textures appear via photo. This depicts a mother gorilla in the bottom left-she has a flower and leaf crown. Her 3 babies are in the trees and a poem excerpt by Mary Oliver is on the leaves on the bottom right. I don't think animals are my strength but, as I said, I love anything with gorillas so I had fun with this! I am going to throw in a picture of Honi and her new baby.  She is the new gorilla mom at the Philadelphia Zoo. What great fortune to move here just as she was ready to give birth. We saw her in April, but I haven't been to see her since she delivered her baby. Honi delivered her baby herself-in the viewing area!  What a mom-she was up and moving with the baby within minutes of delivery. 


Thank you to anyone who happens to be reading this blog.  I can imagine it is quite boring to someone who isn't excited about art or gorillas..... maybe you are just a nice soul who is bored and saw my link on my facebook page.  I'd love you to share any artwork or creative work you do with me.... it's so fun to inspire each other. 






1 comment:

  1. I love that you are creating your art and getting it out there! Your work is so beautiful. I think of you every day I'm in my sewing room and see the beautiful piece you made for me! And I'm SOOOOOOO happy that pine cubby is storing all your art supplies. It makes me smile knowing I contribute to your creative process!

    xoxo Anya

    ReplyDelete